Sunday 12 January 2014

Joy's Unicorn Poop - Birthday NUMBER TWO

As I spent most of the previous month's meeting making bad jokes about number 2, I was absolutely thrilled when I stumbled across this whilst googling kid's birthday party baking ideas:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Unicorn-Poop/

I used my standard shortbread biscuit recipe though (see previous post), but added cola flavouring, vanilla extract and a good slosh of caramel flavouring as this is clearly what unicorn poops would taste like. I divided it into 6, and spent far too long blending red/orange/yellow/green/blue/purple colour pastes into the cookie dough. As a side note, for those who are still using liquid food colourings, I cannot recommend these highly enough:

Get them from eBay/Amazon etc. They're a little more expensive, but they last for ages, a little goes a long way and you really do get a much bolder colour without altering the texture of the cake/biscuit/icing. Anyway...

I rolled each of the 6 colours into long strands, then piled them up and kept rolling to make one really long multicoloured sausage. I chopped this up and had fun rolling each poop into a unique swirl shape. This is definitely the weirdest thing I've ever baked, and I've baked a cookie with ketchup in...

I baked them (probably at 200°C for about 15mins), and when cool, I used icing to stick multicoloured shimmer balls, white chocolate stars and sprinkles. I then sprayed with Dr Oetker gold shimmer spray and added a further sprinkling of cake glitter, for good measure. Voila! (Unfortunately I don't think the picture does the colour justice):


No comments:

Post a Comment