Sunday 12 January 2014

Joy's Cheese Scones and Lemon Rose Shortbread

We held a fairy tale themed picnic to raise money for Marie Curie. I picked two of my tried and tested favourite recipes: cheese scones and lemon rose shortbread.

Cheese Scones:

This is my Mum's recipe and it's the one I've always used; it's super easy and they always taste great!

8oz SR flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1oz butter/marg
4oz cheese (I usually use mature or smoked cheddar)
1/4 pint milk

Chuck it all in a food processor and blend until it forms a ball.
Roll out to 2cm thick and cut into desired shapes - don't twist the cutters in the dough as they won't rise as well.
Brush with a little milk, and sprinkle a bit of exra cheese/herbs/ground black pepper if desired.
Bake at 200°C for 15mins.




Lemon Rose Shortbread:

Again, the shortbread recipe is my Mum's (I learnt from the best!) I've probably listed the exact same recipe previously on the blog but here it is again for good measure!

4oz butter/marg
3oz caster sugar
6oz plain flour
2-3 drops lemon essence

Once again, I've afraid this is a lazy food processor recipe! Chuck it all in and blend until it comes together.
Tip onto a floured surface and roll out to about 0.5cm thick. I used a round cutter, and then cut a mini star out of half of the biscuits.
Bake at 190°C for 7-8 mins, then allow to cool.

I never use a recipe for buttercream and just keep mixing and adding until it seems the right consistency, but I also added a couple of drops of rose essence and pink food colouring to this batch.

Use a Wilton 2D rose nozzle to pipe onto the biscuits without holes, then press one with a hole on top - voila! Simple but rather effective, I like to think.


No comments:

Post a Comment