Wednesday 1 February 2012

Sally's sausage rolls for people who don't like sausage rolls

I don't like sausage rolls and I'd never baked with pastry, so I thought I'd try to make sausage rolls I wouldn't mind eating. Ingredients I bought went something a bit like this:

500g ish of belly pork.
Pack of streaky bacon.
Small pack of puff pastry, but a larger one would have been a much better idea.
Fresh thyme.
A pack of cherry tomatoes.
Lemon juice.
A pack of baby button mushrooms (probably about 150g, I'd guess)
Red onion.
One egg.

This is what I did:
1) Chop up belly pork into 1cm squares. A sharp knife and patience works well here. I only had one of these.
2) Chop up bacon into similar size pieces with scissors.
3) Put in a mixing bowl.
4) Finely chop the onion.
5) Slice the mushrooms.
6) Quarter the cherry tomatoes.
7) Put veggies in and mix.
8) Chop up some thyme and add this and the lemon juice to taste.
9) Dust some flour over worksurface and nice dress you're wearing. Roll the pastry out to about the thickness of a pound coin.
10) Grease three baking trays and pre-heat oven to whatever the puff pastry packed said, I think about gas mark 6 or 7?
11) Half the pastry lengthways (split into thirds if you bought a bigger pack of pastry, I'd imagine), and place some mixture down the middle leaving plenty of pastry each side.
12) Beat the egg.
13) Brush some beaten egg down the inside of one of the pastry sides.
14) Flop the un-egged pastry side over, then flop the egged side over that. Press firmly to seal.
15) Turn huge sausage roll over so it is sitting on the seal. It looks prettier this way.
16) Slice into pieces, about an inch or a bit less is good.
17) Place on baking trays.
18) Snip pretty little steam vents into the top of the pastry.
19) Glaze tops of rolls with egg.
20) Repeat steps 11-19 (without halving the pastry again!) until you've used all the pastry.
21) Pop baking trays in oven for 20-25 mins until pastry has risen and is golden brown, and meat is cooked.
22) Go change flour splattered dress.
23) Enjoy!

I had a lot of sausage mix left. I fried it up with more cherry tomatoes, a tin of tomatoes, courgettes and onions and served it with pasta. Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I've been waiting for this one to pop up, they were delicious! Definitely going to be giving these a go one weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete