Sunday 8 January 2012

Joy's Ginger & Chocolate /Cinnamon & Cranberry Cookies

This recipe was adapted from the "Stem Gingernuts" recipe in the Great British Bake Off book that I got for Christmas. I originally tried to make a vegan candied clementine cake (http://veganyumyum.com/2009/02/candied-clementine-cake/) but disaster struck due to a poorly chosen pan and lack of knowledge as to how far to fill the pan up! It looked a bit of a disaster but my partner assures me it was very tasty!

Please note that these quantities are from the book & make 24 cookies. I quartered the recipe as I didn't want loads & wanted to make 2 varieties:

350g self raising flour
1 tbsp ground ginger [or cinnamon for the second batch]
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
115g unsalted butter
85g goldern syrup
1 medium free range egg, beaten
Candied ginger to taste (the book uses stem ginger but I didn't have that), I used about three 1p sized pieces for my quarter batch) [or replace with dried cranberries for the second batch. I don't know how many I used as I used up the packet but just keep adding & stirring until it looks right!]
I also added very dark chocolate to my recipe, because it goes beautifully with both ginger & cranberry

Preheat oven to 170ÂșC and line 3 baking trays with baking paper/sheets

1. Gently melt the golden syrup & butter over a low heat & set aside to cool
2. Sift flour, ginger/cinnamon, bicarb & sugar into a mixing bowl
3. Pour the cooled syrup mixture into the dry ingredients, add the beaten egg, candied ginger/cranberries, chocolate & combine
4. Roll into 24 walnut sized balls and arrange on the baking trays, allowing a lot of room for spreading!
5. Bake for 15-20 mins (I did mine for 15 to keep them chewy & gooey!)

6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment