Friday 3 February 2012

Sarah's Sausage Roll Filling

Here are my suggestions in making a more exciting sausage roll.

In general, I use anything I have laying around to make the sausage meat more exciting. For example, various types of mustard/mustard seeds, pepper corns, chutney etc. You could use onions, nuts, fruit, pickled veg to add a bit of bite.

At christmas, i like to use a nice fruity chutney which I have made - maybe something with a little kick just to bring out the flavour of the sausage meat. I also like to use a good quality sausage meat and generally I get mine from a great butcher who is at Wimpole christmas craft fair. Also, the trick with sausage rolls is not to over fill them with sausage as they do expand and can split which means all the lovely juices spill out and bake onto the tray, rather than being trapped inside the roll.

That's about it - happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment