Saturday 10 December 2011

Joy's Nut Roast Tartlets


I feel a little ashamed to admit to using shop-bought pastry after Sarah's post!

You will need:

Puff pastry (block/pre-rolled, whichever you prefer)
Half a finely diced onion (I use red because they're tastier & prettier)
1 garlic clove
Couple of finely diced mushrooms and/or any other veg that you want to use. Peppers, sundried tomatoes & olives work well too.
1/2 tsp flour
150ml veg stock
85g chopped mixed nuts
85g breadcrumbs
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
Salt, pepper & herbs to taste. I think I used basil, parsley, cumin & rosemary.
Something to stick the nut roast to the pastry and prevent them being too dry: this was a last minute thought & unfortunately the Co-op didn't have cranberry sauce so I went for apple sauce in some & tomato puree in others.

Method:
1. Stew onion in olive oil until soft. Add garlic & mushrooms.
2. Sprinkle on flour. Add stock, stirring continuously.
3. Bring to the boil & simmer for 2-3 mins.
4. Add remaining ingredients & allow to cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, roll out your pastry & cut desired shapes. I used a traditional pastry cutter and stars.
6. Put pastry shapes into lightly greased (or Frylight-ed) bun tins and press down to form a cup.
7. Spoon in a small amount of sauce, and add a pressed ball of nut roast mixture.
8. I cut out little stars from my pastry offcuts & added these to the top to make them look more festive!
9. Bake at 220ÂșC until pastry is browned nicely, about 15-20mins I think.
10. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment