Sunday 31 March 2013

Tom's Oven Scones

This month I decided to have another go at oven scones, something I've never had much success with.  I tried a different recipe from the one I usually use, this one is from the Good Housekeeping cookery book (1978 ed.).  Makes around 10-12 scones.

Ingredients

8oz self raising flour
1-2oz butter or baking margarine
¼ pint milk
1tsp baking power
pinch salt

This will make rather dull plain scones, you can add various flavourings with the flour - I added some chopped dates and almonds. The Book recommends adding 2oz of your flavouring.

Method

Pre-heat oven to 230°C, and warm a baking sheet or two in the oven.

Sift together the flour, salt, and baking power (it does make a difference!), then rub in the butter or margarine to make a fine breadcrumb texture.  Add enough of the milk to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead very lightly until it forms an reasonably evenly textured lump.  Roll out to about 2cm thickness and cut into rounds with a cutter or triangles with a sharp knife - don't twist the cutter or use a knife which you have to saw at the dough to cut it; this will stop the scones from rising well.  Place on a warmed baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 230°C until well risen and browned.

My scones turned out much better than my previous attempts, but still weren't fantastic - they didn't rise very much - I think I used too blunt a knife to cut the dough up.  Let that be a warning to others!

Good luck with your own scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment