Sunday 27 November 2011

Joy's (very easy) stained glass bakewell hearts

I chose these for the first bake off as biscuits were probably the first thing I learnt to make as a child, and I still use my mum's old recipe today, hence why it's in ounces!

Ingredients:
4oz butter/margarine (works equally well with vegan margarine if you're that way inclined)
3oz caster sugar
6oz plain flour
Any boiled sweets, I used Cherry Drops
Anything else you want to add! For these I added a couple of drops of almond essence and a shake or 2 of cinnamon.

Method:
1. Cream butter & sugar, add vanilla/almond/orange/lemon essence
2. Sieve in flour & cinnamon and mix to combine
3. Roll mixture to about half to 1cm thick on a floured work surface, and cut out desired shape. I find it's easiest to transfer them to a lined baking sheet before cutting out the hole where the sweets will go, as it helps them retain their shape.
4. Fill the hole with crushed boiled sweets (I used half a cherry drop per cookie)
5. Bake at 170oC for 10-15mins or until the sweet fills the hole & the cookies are nicely browned.
6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment